Wednesday, April 16, 2014

2014 NHL Postseason Bracket

Finland spits out top goalies like it's their job.
I think these 2 Fins will meet in the 2014 finals.
I used to have to do 4 installments of hockey predictions (I still might if I get some picks wrong) but now the bracket format allows me to do 1 article to say how I think things will go.  You can still sign up for the bracket challenge here if you think you know your stuff!  Here are my series breakdowns:

East:
The Bruins and Penguins are the only cup contenders in the east in my opinion.  Maybe the Rangers if Lundqvist throws the team on his back as he has done before.  Predictions:


  • Bruins over the Red Wings in 5 games
  • Habs over Lightning in 5 games
  • Penguins beat Blue Jackets in 4 games and the CBJ's stay the NHL's only team without a postseason win
  • Rangers in 7 over the Flyers
I then have the Bruins and Penguins winning obviously and have the Bruins on their way to a 3rd Stanley Cup Final birth in 4 years.

West:
California has a legit chance of taking home the Cup this year, having all 3 teams in the playoffs.  The Blues looked destined to win until they suffered injuries and made a terrible trade.  I do not like Ryan Miller, this is no secret to people who know me.  However, even if Miller were better than Halak (he's not), it would still be a dumb trade by the Blues.  The phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is true and the Blues were golden with their team prior to moving Halak for Miller.  Chicago won the Cup last year and in 08 so clearly they are contenders as well.  Here is what I have:

  • Wild over the Avs in 6
  • Hawks route the Blues in 5
  • Ducks in 6 over the Stars
  • Sharks and Kings win every game on home ice like last year, only the Sharks have home ice this year.  Sharks in 7
From there I have the Sharks routing the Ducks in 5 and the Wild shocking the world with a win over the Blackhawks in 6 games.  The Wild and Sharks made many trades with each other which makes Burns, Havlat, and Sheppard of the Sharks taking on Coyle, Mitchell, and the Wild an interesting round.  Pominville is the secret weapon of the Wild and Ryan Suter playing every minute in the postseason makes them sneakily formidable.  Sharks should win that series in 5 though.

I have the Sharks beating the Bruins in 6 games on their way to the Stanley Cup.  Although I am VERY biased towards San Jose, they have one hell of a team this year.  I am always optimistic that they will win the Cup, but this is the best team they have assembled in franchise history.  And more important than anything, they are 100% healthy!!!  That is huge this time of year.  Thornton, Marleau, Couture, and others are world class players and Pavelski, Burns, and Vlasic have hit a whole other level this year with their production.  The youngsters Nieto and Hertl are amazing and Niemi is a solid backstop.  If Niemi stumbles, Alex Stalock is more than capable of carrying this team.  I think it is the year using logic, not simply emotion.

Lastly, if I have enough of these wrong I will do more installments of this to do predictions for a series I did not expect to take place.  Leave a comment to tell me I am right or wrong and join in that bracket challenge!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment